Media arts internship March 25 - 27, 2015

March 25

I edited and converted to .mp3s some the audio I had recorded at Spring Training. I took several short recordings, then took some really long ones. I combined the smaller ones which were all from batting practice. I had another longer one that I kept by itself and then I had one that combined two sessions that were about 2-3 minutes long.

March 26

We completed the third round of the March Madness tournament, so I needed to update the bracket with the results for the fourth round. I then put together a post for the audio files I had put together.

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2015/3/27/8298337/astros-spring-training-audio-the-backfields-of-osceola-county-stadium

March 27

Updated the Spring Training infographic as three players had recently been sent down. I then began podcast preparation. Started the podcast post and began researching topics for the show.

Media arts internship March 23 - 24, 2015

March 23

I edited the podcast and created the post that it would be released in for this week: http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2015/3/24/8281083/astros-podcast-spring-training-continues

I then processed the minor league pictures I had taken for the minor league crew to use in posts this season. In all I processed about 133 photos. Six of those I want to add filters to in Photoshop because the shots have too much blur for my liking.

March 24

I finished processing the minor league pictures. Here are a few of my favorites:

I haven’t decided if I’ll upload all the minor league pictures to this site, but I’ll certainly put all the ones in the gallery post I created for the site: http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2015/3/20/8260973/photos-from-astros-spring-training-2015

I put all the pictures in a rar file and sent them to the entire TCB staff for their use. I then reviewed some audio I had been sent for our segment transitions in the podcast. After that I started putting together the soundscapes I plan to release from the audio I recorded at Spring Training.

Media arts internship March 20 - 22, 2015

March 20

I began going through the audio recordings I had taken at Spring Training. I’m editing out any non-baseball sounds that happened during the recordings.

March 21

I created the post for Sunday’s podcast recording then began some preliminary research for the show content. I also listened to a music sample someone sent me for use on the show and responded with some feedback.

March 22

I did research and prepared the show notes for the podcast recording. Then recorded the show. I also updated the Spring Training roster graphic and created a post scheduled to be posted Monday.

Media arts internship March 18 - 19, 2015

March 18

I updated the march madness tournament bracket with the results from round 2. I then finished my organization of the pictures I took at Spring Training.

March 19

I processed all the pictures I planned to release in gallery post on the site, then wrote the post. I process pictures by opening them in Adobe Bridge and adjust the different settings of the pictures.

I shoot all my pictures in RAW so that I can go into Bridge and adjust levels for different elements of a picture. RAW is exactly what it sounds like, a starting point for an image with tons of information. For example, one of my RAW files is 22 MB. After I converted it to a JPG, after adjusting different elements to make the image look better, it is now 3 MB. JPGs get rid of a lot of information to make the image more size efficient. I can adjust levels in the JPG format, but due to the lost information, it doesn’t work as well.

I start at the top and work my way down. Exposure is adjusted first, then recovery, fill light, blacks, and finally brightness. As I’m adjusting I’m looking between the image and the histogram. Ideally, the histogram should have a hill shape, but that’s rarely the case. I end up trying to get the histogram as close to looking like a hill as possible and watching the image to see what I like. I’ll also crop the image to get rid of polls, garbage cans and other things in the shot that tend to draw the eye away from the main focus of the image. If I like the image as is I’ll save it directly from Bridge.

Other times I’ll open the image in photoshop to remove stuff from the shot or add a filter. I typically add filters if a shot is blurry, but I like the shot anyway. Other times I’ll experiment with shots, like this:

The idea here was to get the words and the number on the back of the jersey to show along with the shadow. Again, I was experimenting. Next I uploaded the pictures to the website and created a gallery post for them, which will release Friday. I’ll be uploading all the pictures to the gallery on this site as well.


Media arts internship March 16 - 17, 2015

Monday, I upgraded the Astros Spring Training roster infographic. While we were in Kissimmee, some players were cut from major league camp and sent down to minor league camp. I updated the graphic to reflect those players as off the major league Spring Training roster. In Photoshop I dropped the opacity of the names to 30% and removed the shadow, this helped define the players cut from the players still in major league camp.

Tuesday, I edited the podcast audio together that Brooks and I had recorded over the weekend. I started by recording an intro, a break between the days and then the outro for the episode. Then I went in and cleaned up the audio from the weekend and put it all together. Created the post for the podcast and updated the RSS feed so that the episode could be distributed to podcast directories.


http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2015/3/18/8240151/adventures-at-astros-spring-training-camp